The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Friday, February 18, 2005

Adaptations

Pete has a few words about the Constantine movie. (Not linking to it since I am going to pretend it doesn't exist. Anyway...
Apparently only Superman and Batman warrant faithfulness to the source material. I can hardly wait for the Transmetropolitan movie with Spider as a columnist for Cat Fancy. Or the film version of The Invisibles where they all join together to form a giant gay robot.

Mind you, his review for civilians is a little more positive, but most of us who have any experience at all with Hellblazer? I guess we'll be disappointed.

Then there is the "re-imagining" of the Looney Tunes characters, which puts them 700 years in the future in fetish suits. Um, I'm glad Chuck Jones isn't around to see this, as this is just... bad. Worse than the shit 70s Warner Brothers cartoons bad. And people wonder why Japan is kicking our asses in animation. (Then again, if you've seen the beauty that is Read or Die or Last Exile or anything by Miyazaki...)

Speaking of that last one, three more of his films are out next week. Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, and The Cat Returns. The latter is kind of confusing to me as it's a sequel to a film that hasn't been released in the States yet.

One wonders what kind of films they'd make if they looked at comics as source material like marble, instead of some sort of herd animal they can turn into summer blockbuster hamburger.