The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I have destroyed your definition of "dish"

One of my favorite Get Fuzzy cartoons involves Bucky the cat selling his destroyed household objects to Satchel as art. By placing crumbs on broken pottery and selling it to a dog, he "caused you to think about dish in a new way."

The world is full of wanna-be avant garde artists. A vacationing president signs a special-interest-laden energy bill on the same day oil hits $64/barrel. Painting a tomato soup can can't compare with the majesty of watching private citizen Bob Novak (or, as Jon Stewart calls him, our little "douchebag of liberty") get suspended from his network. Not for destroying the cover of a covert agent charged with policing nuclear materials as you might expect, but for swearing on TV.

I had this idea that I would go all Dada in our kickball league this fall. (Maybe not Brotherhood of Dada in what may be the best storyline Morrison has ever written. Mostly since I don't have a painting that can eat a city and my name isn't Mr. Nobody.) I was thinking of foregoing baserunning and instead replace it with cartwheels or ballet leaps along the baseline, maybe attempting to kick while blindfolded and tied to a post, cigarette dangling from my lip. Perhaps trying to register my cat Zelda as a player. She's gotta be 21 in cat years by now! But still, nothing I can do can compare to the masters above.