The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Friday, February 17, 2006

It always has something to do with the Tri-Force.

It's been a DVD extravaganza at our house recently. Valentine's Day brought in several things, including the Serenity, Wallace and Gromit, and The Vicar of Dibley discs.

OK, who the hell is that supposed to be on the Serenity movie site? River? She's got airbrushed skin and pneumatic breasts, so maybe it's Barbie Dress-Up Psychotic Walking Plot Device. It's certaintly not any character I recognize from the series. Man, for a series with such great production values I am confused as all get-out by this bizarre image. Is that a drop-shadow on her face? Did they bevel it?

As an aside, Kevin pointed me at round II of kids reviewing old video games. (The first installment is also a hoot...)
(Talking about the original vector-graphics Star Wars game)
EGM: What do those TIE Fighters look like?

Anthony: Stars.

Garret: Fireworks.

Bobby: Fireballs.

Parker: Psychadelic snowflakes.

Dillon: It's snowing up.

Rachel: This looks like a game out of Willy Wonka or something.

Bobby: It's like, "I'm Willy Wonka. I've created a new Star Wars."

EGM: Are they scary?

Anthony: No. It feels like they're trying to give me flowers.

Dillon: But flowers that you're allergic to, so you're trying to blow them up.

I pre-ordered the third Rebel Strike game just to get an adaptation of the vector Star Wars game, so this is kind of sad to here. But funny at the same time. This may be my favorite quote, from a discussion of Street Fighter II, which I remember sucking mightily at...
EGM: What do you think of that guy's hairstyle? [Points to Guile]

Parker: I think it's extremely 90s.

Bobby: He's a commando.

Dillon: That's very very, very retro, in his own ugly kind of way.

EGM: If you saw a guy like that at the mall...


Parker: I'd leave the store.

Bobby: I'd run away. I'd be afraid of getting his bad taste.

EGM: What store would he be shopping at?

Dillon: Hot Topic.

Bobby: Commandos R Us.

There may be hope for the future after all.