The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Pretend internet spaceships are the best

So I was all fired up in January to resume a regularly MWF blogging schedule, and then life happened.

Let's try this again.

I totally missed everything Super Bowl related this year, as I was helping a friend build shelving units. Then we drank tiki drinks and had nachos, so I think I ended up the winner.

The new year is also about the time I start playing MMORPGs, at least for a while. Last year it was Maple Story, which is full of 12-year-olds. This year, it's EVE Online, which is all about SERIOUS BUSINESS involving fake internet spaceships. OK, the people who call it serious business are probably 12 years old as well.

Mostly it's an excuse to run around going pew pew at each other in a giant game of tag, only it's on a global scale because there is one single server that handles all players. Given how awful the lag is during some of the fleet battles I've been in, I really don't know how good of an idea this has turned out to be, though. Anything more than about 40 spaceships fighting turns the whole thing into a slideshow.

(Of course, each spaceship is flying, shooting multiple weapons, running special equipment, sending drones to kill each other, dropping warp bubbles, etc., so there are hundreds of variables to keep track of in any engagement.)

Valentine's Day is approaching. Have you kept the economy going, citizen?