The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

How to get sued:

So I know that both Yahoo maps and Google maps have little disclaimers that you should always check your routes before traveling anywhere.

However, it looks like they may need to beef up their language, based on the experiences of a family here in Oregon.
Authorities say the cyber-savy[sic] family may have plucked the route from Grants Pass to Gold Beach from an online mapping service, unaware of the elements.

Despite its impassable snowdrifts and single-lane, Bear Camp Road is offered as the preferred route on some Web sites and on-board-directions software available on some new cars. And most of those have no business in those mountains in the winter.

Yahoo and MapQuest offer Highways 199 and 101 as the preferred route. A Google map search, however, suggests the Bear Camp route, a series of federal forest roads used mostly in summer.

Evidently the father wandered out looking for help and they're still looking for him. I really do hope they find him.

Also, sorry for the delay in service--it has been extraordinarily busy for me lately and I haven't had a lot of energy to do much of anything. Like Roast Beef, I may suffer from SAD.