The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Glengarry, Glen Fiction

I've been writing with a friend this evening, after a night of vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, watering the plants, and more vacuuming. I also cut the hell out of my left index finger on a broken part of our hose reel, which annoys me.

Anyway, I tell Kevin about my writing project and we both start channelling Mamet.

BeaucoupKevin: SNAP TO, FAG. Write like a MAN. Coffee is for WRITERS.
GiantFightingBot: I don't see any writers here!
GiantFightingBot: First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado.
GiantFightingBot: You wanna see second prize?
GiantFightingBot: Second prize is a set of steak knives.
GiantFightingBot: THIRD PRIZE IS: YOU'RE FIRED.
BeaucoupKevin:What's my byline? FUCK YOU, that's my byline.
GiantFightingBot: They just like talking. To writers.
BeaucoupKevin:I sold eighteen million paperbacks last year, you drove a Hyundai to Staples.
GiantFightingBot: You know what it takes to write fiction?
BeaucoupKevin:It takes brass balls to write fiction.
BeaucoupKevin:You see this watch? This watch cost more than your writing courses.

Time to fire up the Glengarry mix.

In other news, I thought Edwards had a pretty good speech. I love the fact that he talks about the two Americas we have in this country--one rich, one not, and how that is not the America he wants to live in. It's about time we have this discussion about race and class that we've been needing for over two hundred years.

Up to almost 800 words in 45 minutes, though I am very tired. On the other hand, it's good to know that part of my brain still works. I used to do more than that during NaNo, but this is the first time I've written anything since December, really. I'm really glad that Athenais and I could do this writing thing again. We both needed it.