The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Hair pollution

Wheat


Kerry was supposed to give the speech of his life tonight, and he did. Not a grand slam or an over-the-Green-Monster home run like Obama and Clinton had, but a damn fine job nonetheless.

I was watching nervously, and he got off to a rough start. But after a while he nailed it. The convention was supposed to positive and upbeat, and with the exception of Sharpton, most people refrained from attacking Bush directly. Kerry called Bush out, on everything from his failed policies on terror to his negative campaign to his complete slimeballs serving as the Attorney General and Vice-President.

There was a moment where he talked about how the flag flew behind him on his patrol boat in Vietnam, often riddled with bullets but still waving in the breeze. How that flag does not belong to any one party, but to all Americans. It made me want to go out and fly one again, which I haven't wanted to do since Boy's State in 1991, before I was disillusioned with the first Gulf War.

My metric for measuring this speech was to have a beer--every time Kerry said something I agreed with or had been waiting for somebody to say, I took a sip. (OK, so it's a lame metric.) Anyway, I went through one beer and I could have had another, particularly when he said, "I want to depend on American ingenuity and not the Saudi royal family." ZING.

Chaff


In other news, Hellboy and the Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex DVDs are out. Huzzah!

Had sushi this evening, after postponing it the other day. I did not get food poisoning like my friend the Lipstick Librarian did. So that is quite good.

MrPiggs and TBW were up for a very short visit this week. It was great to see them but they should make a longer appearance next time. I'm just saying.

OK, I'll have more to say tomorrow but I am very optimistic for at least a five-point shift in the polls. Though really, the only one that counts is in November, if they let it. Stupid tin-foil-hat-thought-creating administration.