The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The functions of the brain

I can remember every license plate for the cars my parents had when I was a kid. I can, if pressed, name the specific order in which I ate M&Ms as a child, including the colors they don't make any more. My head is full of trivia like every General Mills cereal that had a monster on it, the original lineup of Lucky Charms marshmallows, the specific sound a Kodak 8mm movie camera makes when recording home movies in the 70s.

But despite knowing the majority of dialogue in Star Trek II, having the ability to repeat every line of Star Wars as it's happening in the store (ask Mrs. GFR how annoying this is), or the RAM specifications of all the 680x0 Macs, I cannot remember how algebra works or how the fucked-up version of SQL that Microsoft Access uses works in a report.

It's only been eight years since I used this. Hell, I can still remember the command in Eamon to get 100/100/100 stats, and that was an Apple ][ game that I first played when I was 11. So what the fuck? I used to use Access every damn day for almost two years.

I dunno, I probably blocked it out for my own good. Knowing too much about how to use Office products is bad for you. I'm kinda mad I remember how to Mail Merge.