The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Let them eat community college

More on the "No Child Left Behind as panacea" thread:

This bit's from Kevin Drum, formerly of CalPundit and now at Washington Monthly:
At the time he made it, it struck me as nothing more than a routine politician-speak answer, basically not a big deal. But it got the biggest reaction of the night from my wife: she felt insulted. "Jobs aren't going overseas because they're better educated," she said, "they're going overseas because labor costs half as much." She was steamed.

That surprised me, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I wonder how many other people felt the same way?

I know of a couple people. Basically everybody who's in a survival job they hate beacause the alternative is to be unemployed and without healthcare in Bush's America.

I mean, when COBRA eats up most of your unemployment, what do you live off of? A while back, Cheney suggested that eBay would solve our problems.

More cranky than usual because my boss at work just suggested I give the thing I've been doing at work that's actually interesting to somebody else, so I can work on the boring photocopying she's obsessed that I do all the time.

Perhaps I should go back to school so I can really learn how to photocopy well!