The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, December 13, 2004

1.5MB down, 384k up

Finally got the DSL installed. The old wiring in the house gave the installation guy a case of nerves. Our house was built in 1927 and there were some wires for princess telephones, I guess. Something about a second pair being used as a power/ground instead of just the phone line. Eventually they put in a new set of wires and the bedroom is now wired for DSL.

Anyway, it's all taken care of now, and the graphite AirPort base station is getting the job done. At some point I'll be adding another firewall of some sort, possibly a hardware firewall/bridge combo, if such a thing exists. I'm already running one firewall, why not two? Defense in depth and all that.

Tomorrow the new Lord of the Rings DVD set comes out, but I'll be too busy helping a friend test some 3D monitor for his MBA project. Should be interesting. I might get to watching the extended version eventually, but this weekend is the... um... impromptu Holiday Beer Festival. It's totally impromptu, even though we've been planning it since September or so. And we've done it for three years now. (Basically, we head to the Horse Brass and see what's on tap in terms of holiday ales.)

Now that I have a decent connection, it's time to start updating some references, think about hosting some websites, etc. Decisions, decisions. But, first, some Homestar Runner. It's dot-com!