The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, January 10, 2005

NiGHTs Into Dreams

You know a game design team has done its job when just hearing the soundtrack can bring up the experience of playing the game. In 1997, Sonic Team built a wacked-out game for the Saturn called NiGHTs Into Dreams.

Listening to the soundtrack, I can see the little purple NiGHTs guy flying around in loops, drill-attacking the bad guys, etc. I really do miss the Saturn now and again. The character and world have made cameos in later games (I'm thinking of Phantasy Star Online and the Sega Eye Toy games in particular), but they've never come out and made a direct sequel. Which is a bit too bad. It was tons of fun.

What kind of world do we live in where Megaman gets 4000 sequels, and NiGHTs not a one? I'm not even going to go into the countless Army Men games. I was hoping when 3DO went bankrupt, that would be the end of that, but nope...

Today is the last day to donate for Steve Gilliard's pledge drive. This weekend he got invaded by trolls from NRO, I think, and it was pretty damn sad. I'm a little sad the Fighting 101st Keyboarders are spending their time trolling blogs when they could be putting their money where their mouths are and enlisting in the Army.