The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Where'd I put my Eltingville Club badge?

Somebody needs to go hear this talk by Steve Meretzky and Michael Bywater and tell me what I missed. Or, even better, send me to London so I can hear it myself.

(My Quinjet and Pogo-Plane are in the shop, you see.)

I had a total Eltingville moment yesterday. I was at Coffee People, and they had a question at the counter which, if answered, would yield an extra punch on your card.
What island is Wonder Woman from?

"Oh, that's easy," says me. "Themiscyra."
"What language is that?"
"What?"
"The answer is Paradise Island."
"In the TV show, perhaps. But in the comics it's Themiscyra."

It reminds me a little bit of a conversation I had in college, where I mentioned how Luke Skywalker's light saber was blue in Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, but green in Return of the Jedi. "No it's not, it was always green. Are you sure you're not color blind?"

I swear I am not making this up. Because this is the age of the internets, there are pictures of his lightsabers from both Empire and Jedi. Here's Scotland, here's Ireland, here's the bloody sea, they're different. But somehow I'm the crazy one for noticing...