The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Turning the corner

I wish I had a dollar for every time the Bush administration has said we're "turning the corner" in Iraq. Cheney said this the other day, and I guess when you have 70+ attacks a day (up from 30 in March) that is turning a corner of a sort.

Turn enough corners, you go around in circles, which describes what we're doing in pretty good detail.

I've been up since about 3:30 this morning. Updated QuickTime, messed about with disk permissions, and now I'm watching a raccoon get a drink out of the birdbath in the back yard. Not quite sure what's causing this insomnia, other than the usual suspects.

Now that I can watch QuickTime movies in a browser again, I've been poking around the Apple trailer site. The new Fantastic Four trailer looks... not so good. I had high hopes for this at one point, I may see it eventually, but it seems more like wasted potential than anything else. I wasn't terribly thrilled by most of the first X-Men movie, either, and the second one turned out OK. So for the nearly-inevitable FF 2, what should they do? Mole-Man? The Frightful Four? Galactus? The Inhumans? Blanking on who could possibly play Black Bolt, though. Clive Owen? Hell, they should do the Black Panther vs. Klaw, with Will Smith as the king of Wakanda.

"Aw, hell no! It's Klaw!"

(OK, the raccoon just managed to knock the basin off of the birdbath and is looking all confused. I'm just glad it didn't land on him.)

I am evidently the wrong audience for War of the Worlds. Tom Cruise playing dress-up in coveralls and a cute Spielberg-ian waif child? Plus lots of running crowds blah blah blah ooh scary press buttons scream "WHERE IS MY CHILD?!?!?" blah blah blah. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Howl's Moving Castle is going to be three or four times the movie War of the Worlds is.

(Looks like the wildlife has left the backyard now, or perhaps he's moved to the front judging by the angry calls of the robin outside my window.)

I appear to have ample time before I have to get ready for work—perhaps it is time to track down that last kinfusion in The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.