The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Yuletide in May

It's E3 this week, and all the big announcements are happening.

Another clash of the titans, with the PS3 and Revolution squaring up against the X-Box 360.

The X-Box has never really appealed to me all that much, not being a huge fan of Microsoft in any forms. (I wrote my first novel in Word, mostly for the word count feature. I really should have used BBEdit, though.) There are only a few games on that platform I have any interest in—KOTOR and maybe Halo, but I am still bitter about that game after the whole Bungie-announcing-at-MacWorld-then-moving-to-X-Box-exclusive thing. (It's only been six years. Why do you ask?)

Kevin and I are already interested in WarHawk and the new Killzone. I also want to see the new Animal Crossing DS.

One thing I do not want to see anymore is booth babes. Isn't the industry old enough by now to not need a bunch of Hooters waitresses earning some extra cash by pandering to nerds? Then again, that's how some careers are made. (Greg Horn art books, for example...)

Star Wars: Episode III comes out this week. I swore that Lucas had no need of my money after the dreck that was Episode I. And so far, the only exceptions to this role have been video games. I still haven't seen Episode II. I might not, having played through an abbreviated form in LEGO Star Wars. No shit acting and dialogue, there.

It's not all sunshine, though. Frist thinks he can push through the nuclear option. We're still bombing the fuck out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and all of a sudden the worst thing in America is a Newsweek article. And my work situation is FUBAR, same as it ever was.

I wonder if the liquor store is still open. I am craving a bottle of Hendrick's gin.