The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Free Comic Book Day

How do you know when it's been too long since you've been in the shop?

One of the things in your box is a flyer about Free Comic Book Day, listing the authors and artists that will be there that day signing everything in sight. There were many locals (PDX is a great comics town), including Craig Thompson, David Hahn, and Paul Chadwick. I see Bendis in that shop now and again, but he was not there today.

I'm feeling a bit of a chump today since had I known, I would have had Hahn sign my Private Beach comics. I saw they released a manga-sized version of Bite Club, but I have all the issues so I gave it a miss.

Private Beach is well worth looking into if you've not read it. The story is intriguing and Hahn's art is always a pleasure to look at. (I've not seen his work on Fables yet but I'm eagerly awaiting the next trade.) Trudy Honeyvan and her friends have adventures, get into trouble, and look for the meaning of life. You'll never look at a Magic 8-Ball the same way again.

The slumlord who owns the house next to me came over and tried to mow the lawn. I was just about to file my yearly complaint with the city, too. I'm not quite sure why he just leaves this house vacant. Perhaps he enjoys paying taxes. Perhaps he knows how funny it is for me to watch him destroy a lawnmower by attempting to mow grass that's over a foot high in places. Given the state of the housing market, if he wants to sell this would be a good time to do so.