The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

None of these are prefaced by a half hour of ads

Rick has a good breakdown of why movies don't make as much as they used to. Back in the day, with wider screens like Cinerama and Super Panavision, etc., studios were competing with TV by being bigger.

If my last experience at the movies is any indication, they're starting to get louder. It's like a noiserock concert at this point. Call me old, but I shouldn't wonder if I brought earplugs when the opening credits start. Factor in the explodo in place of actual plots, one wonders when they're just going to start playing footage of Painkiller instead of bothering to film anything.

I started adding items to Delicious Library a couple months ago. I'm not 100% complete, mostly because many of the items in my collection aren't in Amazon, it's source for data. Not sure if Delicious Monster is ever going to add Powells or Gamestop or other vendors to their source, but I don't think it's too likely. For one thing, few online vendors have an API for searching their data. Amazon does. Google does, too, though they're picky about how often you can use it a day.

Speaking of Google, have you tried their homepage/portal thingy? It's not bad—I really like how they've coded the elements so that you can drag them from column to column, up and down. It mostly reminds me that I really need to look into integrating RSS feeds into this project for work. Or making my own. Whee!