The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

DM 1.5.2!

Poking around VersionTracker this evening, I see there's a new update to Delicious Library.

And then after looking at the Delicious Monster blog, I see this interview with Wil Shipley, former head of OmniGroup and current head of Delicious Monster. It's one of the most interesting and engaging interviews I've read in a long time.

Shipley on small companies:
My feeling was (and is): You don't adopt the mannerisms of big, successful companies when you're small, because those mannerisms aren't what made the companies successful.

They're actually symptoms of what is killing the company, because it's become too big. It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver spots and breathing with an oxygen tank, and you say, "I want to be rich, too, so I'm going to start walking with a cane and I'm going to act crotchety and I'm going to get liver disease."

The really important thing to remember is that what worked once won't necessarily work again, and in fact is less likely to work again because it's been done.

Some really intresting bits about working on NeXTSTEP, barcode readers, and cross-platform development. He also hits home why I'm a hardcore Mac user:
[W]hat if people stop booting into the Mac once they're done playing, don't want to deal with dual-booting at all, or developers of larger software start telling Mac users to just boot into Windows (or boot up an emulator) to save costs?

They're not going to reboot to Windows. Windows sucks dogs and everyone knows it. I don't even have to quote the stories of Windows machines getting viruses after 10 seconds any more, because everyone has had it happen to them or someone they love.

They're going to use Wine (or something a lot like it) to play games. It's a perfect technology for this at a perfect time. Windows programs (or a subset of them) will run in a virtual environment on Mac OS X just as Java, Mac Classic, and X11 programs do right now.

The Windows user experience is so much worse than Mac OS X that I can't imagine anyone thinking it wasn't worth it to boot back. It's like saying, "Hey, it's too much trouble to leave the video arcade and go back to our office and get some work done... let's just stay here and sit on the sticky chairs, surrounded by 14-year-old skateboarders."

Considering our entire workplace had to patch systems today thanks to the Zotob exploit. (Holy shit, it's up to variant Zotob.E already...) And don't even get me started on Outlook. It does a bunch of things, but none of them well. It's also an incredibly shitty mail client in a non-Exchange environment. Its LDAP support is... embarrassing, really. And face it, who is going to have three full-time employees and thousands of bucks to keep an Exchange server limping along?

Hrm. Perhaps it's time to go scan some more items into my Delicious Library. I do hope they get around to XML/RSS export one of these days.