The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

It's the bat signal

As we're playing La Pucelle Tactics, one of the things that amuses us is the recruiting of enemy monsters. After recruiting them, you can train them to become more powerful and get them to like you more. One of our Tiny Bats said that it loved us and it was the bat signal. Not quite sure what that means, but that was one excited bat.

The sky looks a lot like rain this evening, almost the shade of green-yellow that precedes a tornado in the Midwest. There was a tornado warning in Klickitat county last night, even. (Though that's a ways away from here.) It's nice to be back in some ways, though I will say that I did not get sinus headaches while we were in Denver. Lightheadedness and exhaustion from lack of air, that is another story.

Denver is certainly a lot more... busy than Portland. It's a bit older, of course, and they had a lot more money during the Dynasty era of oil. Walking around a mall with valet parking, I was reminded slightly of a city where all the prom queens and homecoming kings went to live, climbing in their SUVs to drive across town to the store. Granted, they have mountains and stuff, but I was reminded of an article from the New Yorker that appeared some months back. My favorite quote:
Ford's S.U.V. designers took their cues from seeing "fashionably dressed women wearing hiking boots or even work boots while walking through expensive malls." Toyota's top marketing executive in the United States, Bradsher writes, loves to tell the story of how at a focus group in Los Angeles "an elegant woman in the group said that she needed her full-sized Lexus LX 470 to drive up over the curb and onto lawns to park at large parties in Beverly Hills." One of Ford's senior marketing executives was even blunter: "The only time those S.U.V.s are going to be off-road is when they miss the driveway at 3 a.m."

Denver claimed to brew the most beer of any city in America, but I'm not sure I would call Coors beer. Of course, if you don't know any better. (Not everybody has access to Terminal Gravity IPA.) On the other hand, I did get a nice black-and-tan at the Cherry Cricket.

Perhaps I would have enjoyed Denver more under better circumstances. Application of more Bookers, for example.