The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

An oxygen mask will drop down

Currently on vacation in Denver. It's a mile high, which I had forgotten. As we were on final approach, the display of our swank new AirBus showed our height and speed. We were still 6,000 feet up and I was not sure how we were going to make it all the way down. Then after we landed and we were still 5300 feet up, I remembered just how high up we are.

I grew up at 600 feet above sea level. Stumptown is basically sea level. I'm not used to this whole "lack of oxygen and moisture" thing.

Plane reading is Ventus by Karl Schroeder. Highly recommended, as is his second book Permanence. Both books are all about nanotech, distributed systems, and longevity of design in a world in flux. Fascinating reading and some great characters.

We should go to bed but it's hard when we're watching this biography of Robert Capa, which is intriguing but also depressing as hell.

Oh, and it has come to my attention that I haven't really told anybody about this blog of mine. My apologies for keeping people in the dark about this, but as usual I mostly wonder if there's any audience for anything I have to say. It's not intentional to mislead.