The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Thanks for listening. Now turn your radio off!

This story in the Guardian is about the only funny thing I've seen today. It seems that somebody on a ship off the coast of Scotland was enjoying a program on the BBC. Which is fine. What was not fine was that by doing so, they were jamming a VHF emergency broadcast frequency.
Today presenter Jim Naughtie was given the unusual task of interrupting the programme just before 7am to ask the guilty sailor to clear the airwaves.

"Someone on a vessel near Inverness is listening to this programme," Mr Naughtie said. "The coastguard can hear you listening to the programme, but your VHF transmitter is blocking a channel used for emergency calls.

"So if you are on a ship somewhere around Inverness and listening to the Today programme, will you check you are not the one that's blocking the emergency channel?"


I also received some Nigerian scam e-mail, and "urgent" messages from both Victoria H. Blankenship and Young animatedly. Plus I was cranky in a meeting, but that is not new.