The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The final countdown

Watching a lot of Arrested Development lately, and one of things that always gets me is GOB's magic act. As far as I can tell, it mostly consists of him playing with scarves to the tune of Europe's The Final Countdown.
We're heading for Venus (Venus)
And still we stand tall
Cause maybe they've seen us
And welcome us all (yeah)
With so many light years to go
And things to be found (to be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown...
The final countdown
The final countdown (the final countdown)
Ooh ooh oh
(interlude)

It seems to me that there was a weird time travel movie of the same name, but I don't remember if this was the title track or not. (It had Kirk Douglas as the commander of a modern aircraft carrier that jumps back in time to December 7, 1941. Do they stop the Japanese from attacking Pearl Harbor? Why are they there? Who cares?)

Contest-o-rama
Speaking of final countdowns, I'm still holding my contest! The prize is a copy of America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction. All you have to do is:

  • Come up with the best way to deal with another four years of a Bush administration

  • Mail it to me at giantfightingbot @ gmail.com by midnight, January 19.

  • Have your entry chosen by me and Mrs. GFR

  • Enjoy one of the funniest books I've read in years!



Video game nostalgia
Suikoden IV came out last week. I still haven't played the third one, didn't really get into the second one. But the first game? Loved it.

One of the things that I liked is the developers didn't turn down any ideas. Some folks do one thing and they turn it up to 11, like Bomberman. (Note, Saturn Bomberman is the one true Bomberman--I have no idea why they insist on making any more games when they could just port that one...) But Suikoden? It's got castle building, roleplaying, weapon smithing, item collecting, puzzle solving, character collecting, joint attacks, one-on-one battles, party fighting, army battles, etc... Collecting all 108 Stars of Destiny is no easy chore. Anyway, I was mostly thinking of this today as I was trying to resync my iPod with a bunch of new songs and I was wondering where I hid that CD. Plus, does anybody know if there's a good Saturn emulator? Looking at eBay, trying to recreate my Saturn collection is going to be expensive.