The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Batzarro

BoingBoing has a pair of links to a story about running vampire bats. The footage is hypnotizing. There's also a story about an octopus wearing a coral disguise.

Nothing to see here. We're just a hedge.

Are you using Firefox yet? If not, you're missing out. Tabbed browsing, and now the Web Developer Plugin. The most useful plugin I've ever seen. Validate pages, outline various elements, view every link on a page, view every image on a page, spot troublesome links without titles, images without alt tags, etc. It's even better than Man-in-a-Can or the Little Wooden Boy. OK, so if you don't develop Web pages it may not do that much for you, but I've been jazzed about it all evening.

In other news, I managed to resurrect our Handspring Visor for some testing purposes. I'm somewhat ruined by apt-get and Fink, as I keep expecting the Palm manager software to just go out and find the newest versions of Frotz, Rally 1000, BigClock, etc., and install them automatically.

Still, I do like the Visor and the Palm for the way they boil down function into managable bits. If you've ever read The Design of Everyday Things, a good 10-15% of the book is devoted to how cool something like the PalmPilot would be. (It hadn't really been released when the book was written and then re-issued.) I see that the author has a new book out called Emotional Design. Perhaps he's been in some of my meetings...