The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Too much ginger

When the agreement between Disney and Studio Ghibli was announced a while ago, I never thought that it would include the entire catalog. There were a few films that I didn't think would come out in the US at all:
Pom Poko
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The former is all about tanuki in the woods outside Tokyo, whose home is endangered with a new development. I gather that tanuki are trickster/shapechanger figures in Japanese folklore, and the main reason I figured that it would never make it to the US is that they traditionally have enormous genitals.

Yes, that's right, enormous genitals, just like in Kentucky Fried Movie.

Yamadas is interesting for a couple of reasons—it feels a lot like the old Peanuts specials from back in the day, only with the art style from Mutts. The Yamada family is presented in a series of vignettes, only very loosely connected. They use a lot of haiku to illustrate the point of each story. The whole thing looks like a series of watercolor paintings, though I'm gathering it's just a very good cel shader.