The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, July 05, 2004

Dress code? The fuck?

Met Athenais and some of her friends at a tavern downtown today. I was amazed that they'd posted a dress code in the front entryway.

NO BAGGY PANTS
NO BASEBALL CAPS
NO EXCESSIVELY BAGGY CLOTHING
ETC.

This is Portland, people. Dress codes are for other cities. Here you can be in shorts and dine next to somebody who's just come from the opera and nobody bats an eye. I was cross until application of Terminal Gravity IPA and Delerium Tremens. (The latter, with an alcohol content of 14%, is served in a smaller glass.)

It strikes me that the dress code at this tavern is targeted at a specific subgroup of teens. It's not as if Portland isn't one of the most segregated cities in the country, and now they're doing this? Hrm. In retrospect, it may be the only time I eat there. I suppose I could give the nice people a call and ask their motivation for such a thing.

Last night was fun--went to a party with some of my friends, which involved fireworks and massive amounts of alcohol, always a fine American tradition. One of my friends made a keg of gin and tonic, which we plowed through at the rate of a gallon an hour. That is a fuckton of gin and tonic.

My comic shop had a 25%-off everything sale in honor of Free Comic Day. Picked up a couple of things, but was mostly restrained. Still, old-school Avengers goodness is fun, even if Stan Lee can't think up anything to do with the Wasp. Other than make her a brainless git. I much prefer Mark Millar's take on her, though he still beats the shit out of her for no good reason. Maybe it's time to re-read David Hahn's Private Beach again. That is what Strangers in Paradise should have been, because Private Beach does not suck ass.

It was really nice to see Athenais today and meet her friend. I hope we see them all again soon--it was a lovely day.

I also sent Vice City back to Gamefly, since it was just... too clunky for me.