The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Flashrobat

Adobe is buying Macromedia.

It's an interesting development—they're not directly competitors but combined they are probably the new largest force in browser development. One company now has three of the top five browser plug-ins and will have a huge influence on where things go from here.

I was originally thinking about upgrading my copy of Dreamweaver, but given recent developments I think it's probably a good idea to wait for a bit. On the other hand, it's not as if Adobe doesn't sometimes compete with itself. Premiere and After Effects, for example. Why even use Premiere when After Effects is so much better? (Then there's Final Cut Pro, which I would like to use but don't have an extra grand lying around the house.)

Addendum:
The buying continues. It appears that GameStop is buying Electronics Boutique. I sort of walk through both stores, but I personally am buying most of my games through GameFly. That is, when they give me a KeepIt option. That's been disappearing lately, either through increased demand, lowered supply, or some other factor I haven't considered.

The days of ConHugeCo are not far away.