The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

SWAT Monkey

A story for Beaucoup Kevin caught my eye this morning.
The Mesa Police Department is looking to add some primal instinct to its SWAT team. And to do that, it's looking to a monkey.

The department has submitted a request to purchase and train a capuchin monkey, which is considered the second smartest primate to the chimpanzee.

The department is seeking about 100-thousnd dollars in federal grant money to put the idea to use in Mesa SWAT operations.

The monkey weighs only three to eight pounds, has tiny humanlike hands and puzzle-solving skills. Police say it would be able to get into places no officer or robot could go and could unlock doors, search buildings and find suicide victims on command.


SWAT monkey. This movie writes itself. It could be a comedy, an action film, or a K9-esque buddy film. SWAT Monkey. The "find suicide victims on command" directive is a little weird. Are AZ suicides prone to booby-trapping themselves?

Off to the comic shop later this morning, where I am certain to pick up a copy of New Frontier Volume 2. I mean, how can one resist that cover? OK, if DC had issued the damn thing as one complete unit.