The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Monday, April 11, 2005

I am a bad person for liking this

This morning I was reading the new Fillerbunny and laughing. It's from the mind of Jhonen Vasquez, who writes as if he needs a Prozac the size of a Vanagon but still manages to make with the funny.

There are bees, and Fillerbunny (I have the Fillerbunny inna jar that used to live on my desk when I worked as a tech writer) and lots of shots of an interior office and... Aborto, the fetus thingy that is sick and wrong.

Oh, and lots of vomit jokes. Did I mention there were bees, too?

Don't ask me why this one made me laugh when the second one didn't. The first one was sort of a one-shot, the results of an all-night bender the likes of which I can't do anymore. (In college, I was nocturnal, going to bed when the birds starting chirping and sleeping until noon. Man, I miss those days sometimes.)

Anyway, for a character created to fill one page--replacing an ad for a small press convention in a reprint of Squee, Fillerbunny has had a pretty good run. He's killed more than Kenny and he keeps on dancing, dancing for our amusement. Plus, he's a little bit more upbeat than most of Vasquez's other work, if that can be said about a rodent who gets mauled and impaled on every page...

Nearly finished with the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin. I was introduced to this book through Dorian, and I'm enjoying it. Rankin gets mentioned in the same breath as Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, but he reminds me more of Tom Holt. I'm a huge fan of Expecting Someone Taller, which taught me everything I ever needed to know about the Ring of the Neibelung that wasn't covered by Gil Kane. I was at a wedding with Gil Kane once--I even gave him a soda. My one claim to fame, I guess. Well, that and being the number one search for "naked cartoon women destroying cities." (Come to think of it, not any more. Other sites have clamed that... dubious honor.)

There are new shots of the Miller/Lee All-Star Batman. I cannot wait to see the finished version of this.