The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Grape job, TiVo!

A nice orange box from TiVo arrived the other day, so now there's a little robot that watches TV for me, to quote Patton Oswalt. (Who posts a great deal about who is and is not a dog lover in this recent Spew post...) Setting it up wasn't that bad, after consulting the Scroll of Install TiVo. I'm already trying to figure out if I have any screwdrivers that will fit the case, for the eventual modding that cries out to be done.

Some fun facts I've learned so far:
- How to enable the 30-second fast-forward
- Some folks are happy to help you hack your TiVo
- Many of the shows I want to watch are not on for the next week because of holidays or baseball
- Skipping commercials and intros is so much fun I can't believe the advertisers haven't tried to sue all of these companies into the ground

I am annoyed about the missing shows. At least there's plenty of Cheap Seats and X-Play to go around. On the other hand, I should really decide what I want to write about for NaNoWriMo.

In comics, so far I've purchased all three of the DC Showcase Presents... trades. The Green Lantern one has awesome Gil Kane art, the Superman trade is just insanely funny, and the Metamorpho trade has surprised me at how good it is. Still anxiously awaiting a Flash volume.