The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

TiVo, give that Grape Job sticker back

Tonight is the season premiere of House, which guest-stars LL Cool J and introduces Sela Ward as a regular character.

I really do hope they work Dr. Sassenstein back into the show, but they probably won't.

Looks like TiVo has decided to only hold some shows for a certain period of time. This seems... broken to me. I have been interested in getting one lately, but if they're going to retrofit machines like a thief in the night, I don't think I'll be as interested.

Instead, I'll be reading the latest Goon trade, which may be one of the best trades ever. It's got giant monsters, Hellboy, and makes fun of goth vampires.

Poking around on Television Without Pity, it looks like some fans managed to scrape up enough cash to get them to recap Farscape. I'm not a huge fan of the later seasons of the show, but the episode in question, Premiere, is one of the best tv pilots I've ever seen. The DVDs have been way too pricey to pick up—they were originally 2 episodes/disc with commentary, and then they dropped the commentary and extras, keeping the cost the same. Even now, they're doing weird collections, collected series, though the "Starburst editions" appear reasonably priced. Still not complete seasons, alas.

I found the soap opera elements of later seasons of Farscape kind of annoying, and once they dropped Zhaan for Jool, that was pretty much the end of my interest in the show. (Plus, Stark-as-plot-device bits shouldn't have made it past the writing room.) Probably one of the reasons I never watched the Peacekeeper Wars nor the new season of Stargate: SG-1. Browder and Black are now regular cast members now that they've lost MacGyver, you see.