The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Global warming? What global warming?

Spent the weekend in San Francisco for a wedding and to beat the 100 degree weather in Stumptown.

This plan backfired when it was hotter in SF on Saturday than it was at home. Still, it was a pretty good trip, even if there was almost more driving than actual visiting.

I did discover something most excellent--Michael J. Nelson has a new project called RiffTrax. Take a movie, download his commentary track, and then watch a sort-of MST3K experience. The best part, of course, is that they don't have to license the movie and this allows them to create commentary tracks for pretty much anything.

The current selection is Roadhouse, which I think I've seen perhaps ten minutes of. However, it's now rocketed to the top of my NetFlix queue. Next on the list is The Fifth Element, which is a big shiny dumb movie that is just crying out for... something. I liked it, but I wanted to like it much more. You can vote on the next project, too.

Currently reading new books by both Vernor Vinge (Rainbows End) and Alastair Reynolds (Pushing Ice). Oh yeah, and Karl Schroeder's new book Lady of Mazes has been fairly enjoyable so far.