The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Jesse is a genius

One of the questions I hear a lot (other than the laughable and idiotic "Who would Osama vote for?) is "who would you rather have a beer with?" As if that is the criteria on which the President should be elected. Were that the case, Spuds MacKenzie or the LaBatt's Blue bear should be in office.

Jesse of Pandagon tackles this point:
Me and the American electorate need to have a little sit down. A little powwow, a coffee klatsch if you will.

The President of the United States is not coming to dinner at your house.

The president is not going to come watch a football game with you. He or she is not going to recommend a good place to get address labels. The First Spouse is not going to substitute teach your kids. He or she is not going to call you up and see if you want to go bowling this weekend.

I say this if only because we seem to be suffering from a mass delusion that they are. Somehow, the election of the president has equivalent to electing the family next door. We want to look over the fence every night and see the family that we want to be.

The only problem is that the fence is ten feet tall, made of black iron, has sensors and cameras wired into it to let them know whenever you get too close to it, and a team of several dozen highly trained law enforcement agencies who will make damn sure you don't throw your leaves into their yard.

Given George's history of coke abuse and Laura's fondness for the bottle, I certainly wouldn't want the Bush family as my neighbors. I'd be calling the cops on their kids every damn weekend.