The Giant Fighting Robot Report

I am dubious. (I am metal.) I am stainless. I am milk in your plastic.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Inmates running the asylum

It's bad enough we have dueling movements in Crawford, but now a travel show about Europe is tagged for "mature audiences only."

Rick Steves, the most lovable travel geek in history, gets a warning label on his program because it shows (gasp!) art.
I don't know whether to laugh or be outraged. As a tour guide for 25 years, I always laughed with my American tourists at the puritan fig leaves Victorians retrofitted onto great art. But today we live in a country in which some people apparently wish David's marble penis had a fig leaf and Venus wore a sports bra.

I never will figure out why it's OK to show a human body being shot and killed on American TV, but to show it unclothed is bad and naughty and makes the saints cry. Plus, swearing is bad. And video games are bad. And movies. (Well, any industry that can make a sequel to Deuce Bigalow probably needs some serious examination...)

But thank god we have Talking Points. It's a video clip from Crooks and Liars, which is unfortunately in Windows Media format. Still, it's worth it for the rap video they made out of Bush saying "making progress."